Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Weighing In

My new scale, and toes in need
of a pedicure.
I've had it with feeling fat and frumpy when I should be forty(ish) and fabulous. So I've decided to do something about it.

Here's the plan...

Food Journal:  I have a tendency to snack. A lot. Writing down everything I eat will force me to acknowledge how much I'm eating, and hopefully encourage me to eat less.  That's the theory. I'm also trying to make healthier choices and reduce my portion sizes.

Regular Exercise:  I'm an admitted couch potato. Don't get me wrong, I love to go camping and hiking.  But when I'm home, I'm usually curled up on the couch with a book or my laptop. Last week, I received my Zumba Total-Body Transformation System from Amazon, and discovered just how fun this exercise program can be. I love Latin dance and I'm really hoping that this is something I can stick with.

Measurements:  On Saturday, I bought a new digital scale. I recorded my weight and measurements and will check these weekly.  This is my least favorite part of the plan because my numbers really suck right now.

Accountability:  I'll be posting my progress here every week. No, I'm not going to post my weight or measurements (I'm not that gutsy), but I will report how much I've lost - or gained. I'll also share my observations on eating and exercise.

So far I'm feeling really good about this. I've been faithfully doing Zumba workouts every evening. I skipped over the weekend, but made up for it with running a ton of errands on Saturday and mowing the yard on Sunday. The food journal is an eye opener. It makes me think twice about grabbing yet another handful of M&M's. As for the measurements... well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.