Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Justice is Served

My uncle was a Baptist preacher and respected businessman. He has been married to my aunt for almost 40 years. They have three children and 5 grandchildren. On December 11, he was charged with molesting two of his grandsons. When questioned, he admitted to touching the boys "in a sexual way". He claimed that he did not know why he had done it, but it might have something to do with his numerous blood pressure medications.

He is a liar.

My uncle was touching children "in a sexual way" long before he could use blood pressure medication as an excuse. I learned about his "you touch mine and let me touch yours" game when I was 11. My sister was 7. Our mother, single and raising her two daughters with the help of her family, chose to refrain from making any public accusations. The following year, we moved out of state and the mess was quietly contained.

I have often wondered if my cousins were abused by their father. Were they also keeping "our little secret"? Thankfully, my cousins did not keep it a secret when their sons reported the abuse to them. They called the child advocacy center and the Sheriff's Department. They stopped the cycle of abuse.

Today, my uncle was sentenced to 13 years in prison.

Justice is served.