Thursday, September 27, 2012

Weighing In - September 2012

In June of 2011, I announced that I was tired of feeling "fat and frumpy" and I devised a plan to do something about it.

I started by keeping a food journal, and I faithfully recorded every bite of food that crossed my lips... for about 3 months. That was long enough to confirm that my biggest food problem (aside from overly large portions) was snacking. Specifically, snacking while watching TV.  So, I try to find other things to do with my time.  Obviously, I haven't been overly successful with this because my house is still a wreck and I have at least a dozen unfinished projects in my craft room.  And the M&M's... they will always be a temptation for me as long as they are in the house.  *sigh*

Exercise has become a regular thing for me.  Some weeks are more regular than others, but I try to get at least 4 workouts in every week. Sometimes I count weekend yard work as a workout, but I figure that if I'm sweating, it counts.  I've built up quite a collection of workout videos, and mix them up to keep it interesting.  The last week has been focused completely on yoga, since I rubbed blisters on my heels (new shoes) and needed something I could do barefoot.  See... no excuses!!!

I've been recording my weight and measurements every week... okay, most weeks... at least once a month, to see how I'm progressing.  Sometimes the numbers have gone up, but mostly they've gone down.  I set a goal to lose 69 pounds.  Yes, I know, that sounds like a lot of weight, and it is.  The fact is that I had gained a lot of weight, and 69 pounds would put me at a healthy weight for my height - not model thin, just healthy.  As of this week, I still have about 43 more pounds to lose.

For an entire year, I blogged about my progress every week.  Okay, I may have missed one or two weeks.  I shared my successes and failures with the world - okay, my five regular readers (LOVE you guys!!) - and I think that knowing that I would have to 'fess up kept me on track better than any paid weight loss program.  I plan to continue posting, but on a monthly-ish basis.  I am looking forward to one day writing that "I did it!" post.

My numbers:
Pounds (+/-) since last post:  -4.6
Total weight loss:  26.4
Inches (+/-) since last post:  3
Total inches lost:  36.5

Motivation:  We really can't expect to be successful when we attempt something without the proper motivation.  A lot of things have kept me motivated in the last year - my health, my family, being able to climb a flight of stairs without gasping for breath.  Vanity played a big part in it, too.  (Re-read the first sentence.)  This week, I will be attending my 30 year high school reunion.  Though I haven't yet reached my goal, I'm healthy, I'm happy, I feel really good about myself, and I look good! 

Here's to the Northbrook Raiders Class of '82.  Huzzah!