Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas... But Not At Our House

Celtic Christmas weekend at RenFest
Christmas is 16 days away.  That’s just over 2 weeks – and I haven’t even started getting ready. 

We usually put our tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving, but that’s when Mike got sick, and then the cat got sick and, well… I haven’t really had the time to breathe, much less think about Christmas.

I bought a poinsettia for my husband’s hospital room, and we put it on the front porch when he came home. Does that count as decorating?  No, I didn’t think so.

The new tree that James and I bought back in November is still sitting in its box. We brought the decorations down from the attic so we could donate two older trees, and all the boxes are sitting in the middle of our living room.

I have Christmas cards and stamps, but I haven’t even started addressing the envelopes.  I wanted to take a new family portrait to include in our cards this year.  Yeah, that hasn’t happened either.

I haven’t bought a single gift.  I have no idea what I would buy anyway, even if I did have the time to go shopping.  I could shop online, if I knew what to buy.  Is it too late to have things delivered in time for Christmas?

The worst part about this is that I don’t really care.  It’s not that I’m anti-Christmas…it’s just that I’m not at all excited about the holidays this year.  

We’re planning to put up the tree tonight after dinner, and I have some eggnog in the fridge.  Maybe that, and a little bourbon, will put me in a more festive mood. 

Cheers!