Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Praying for Rain

It's August, and it's hot in Texas. REALLY HOT! For the last week, the temperatures have hovered at or above 100 degrees. At this moment, the temperature has dropped to 92... and it's 9:30 at night.

Not only is it hot, but we're in the middle of a severe drought (over 13 inches below our average rainfall). Recreational lakes are dangerously low, roads are cracking, and wildlife is coming into residential areas in search of food and water. People are praying for a hurricane in the Gulf, hoping that it would bring rain.

I'm doing my part to conserve water by not washing my truck, even though it was the victim of a fly-over bird bombing last week; by not watering the weeds that pass for ground cover in our yard; and by doing as few loads of laundry as possible. I know! It's a huge sacrifice, right?

Seriously though, I am so very grateful that I work in an office. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it is for those people who work outside - especially those guys who are shoveling asphalt to repair all those cracked roads. I am grateful for an air conditioned home (and car) and for the trees that shade our property and keep our electricity bills out of the "oh my gosh!" range. I'm very fortunate.

I'm still praying for rain, though. Maybe even a hurricane...