Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Tradition

Another Thanksgiving has come and (almost) gone. My extended family used to get together at my sister's house for Thanksgiving, but we stopped doing that several years ago.  This year, it was just the three of us - me, my husband and our son (who was home from college).

Cooking a Thanksgiving feast for three people is a challenge for me.  You see, when it comes to Thanksgiving, I like to cook BIG.  A large turkey (18 lbs), mounds of mashed potatoes and gravy, and enough dressing to feed at least a dozen people.  Plus green bean casserole, cranberry sauce (made by my son), rolls, and pie for dessert (apple this year).  I know I could  adjust my recipes to make smaller batches, but it just wouldn't feel right. 

The good thing about this little dilemma is that we always have a ton of leftovers.  I'll be feeding my guys various reincarnations of turkey for the next few days.  Thankfully, we all really like turkey.

The bad thing is that we don't have a lot of extra space to store all those leftovers.  However, through a creative game of Refrigerator Tetris after dinner, I was able to squeeze everything into the fridge.  We just have to remember to be careful when we open the door. 

Tomorrow morning we'll be getting up bright and early.  No, we won't be taking part in the traditional chaos of the Black Friday shopping marathon.  Instead, we'll be headed to the Texas Renaissance Festival to enjoy the festivities of the Celtic Christmas.  It will be our last huzzah of the season.  While we're there, we'll probably do a little Christmas shopping.  It's traditional, after all.



I hope you've had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that your weekend is calm and soothing, or exciting and productive... or perhaps a bit of both.